Sunday, May 17, 2009

Funny Dutch things

Funny Dutch thing #1: The other day at work, the finance department came into the office with a large group of university students and asked us about the tax department, what we do, etc. etc. etc. One of the students looked familiar, but I couldn't place her. Maybe she works at a store in Maastricht? Later it hit me- she was one of the Belgians we met in Barcelona at the cava and sandwich bar. I wonder if she remembered me. One moment I'm drinking bottles of cava, the next I'm talking about taxes. Or perhaps the two are related?

Funny Dutch thing #2: I saw my coworker's passport during our trip to Israel. See if you can spot the humor.

Photobucket

Etc., etc., etc.??!?!! Somehow the idea of "etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah" on an official document strikes me as odd. Like some alcoholic college student who forges passports in his parent's basement got bored and decided to go make a sandwich and just wrote "etc. etc. etc." so he could finish the damn forgery because he can't remember the Queen's title and the royal family is so outdated and irrelevant anyways and forged passports aren't as profitable as they used to be and isn't Star Search on TV? Good enough is good enough, nobody really looks at that page, do they? Or maybe it's the Dutch government's way of being passive aggressive about the idea of having a Queen. Crazy old Beatrix, "her majesty," blah blah blah, whatever she's calling herself these days. Whatever the reason, this juxtaposition of practicality and bureaucracy makes me laugh.

No comments: