Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Small city, small world

I had a funny New York moment today, or maybe just a funny life moment. I was waiting for the subway, on my way to get a haircut, when I heard a couple of guys speaking Dutch. One of them sat next to me, and I started talking to him. Yes, I started talking to a complete stranger just because he was Dutch (from Haarlem), and I am sort of Dutch. (Funny that when I was in Maastricht and heard Americans, I usually went out of my way to avoid them.) But anyways, I chatted with the Dutchies for a couple of stops and said "Dooi" and went on my merry way.

Six hours later, in a completely different part of town a half hour away, I was walking to the library when I heard "that's her, that's her, HEY!" And again I chatted with the same two Dutchies about what they had seen that day, where I was going this time, and said "Dooi" and went on my merry way. 

No comments: