Sunday, September 5, 2010

Oahu, Hawaii!

We started our two week Hawaiian vacation with a trio of malfunctions. (Or rather, I malfunctioned and Nick bore witness.) #1: I realized mid taxi ride that I forgot my ipod. Awesome start to 14 hours worth of travel. #2: We picked up a snack before we boarded the plane, so I carried on a fountain soda (the first soda I've had in so long!) Unfortunately, the lid wasn't fully secured and I managed to spill the entire thing on myself, my tray table, my seat. The timing was impeccable; I spilled when most of the plane was starting to board. So I sat, helpless and ipodless, with soda drip drip dripping my heart into a fireball. #3: When we unpacked, I realized that I had packed zero pairs of underwear for a two week trip. Oops!


With the six hour time difference, we were on senior citizen time zone throughout the trip, meaning we woke up at 6am and hit the hay by 9PM. One night, we even had the early bird special for dinner! Oahu round 1, we stayed close to Waikiki beach, relaxing and hanging out in the ocean.

Here's Waikiki from the top of the Diamond Head crater.

Photobucket

 

Scuba diving to see shipwrecks

Photobucket

We visited the USS Arizona memorial and the Bowfin submarine at Pearl Harbor.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nick in front of the Bowfin

Photobucket

Me touring the Bowfin

Photobucket

Photobucket

Entrance to Diamond Head, about a 45 minute walk from our hotel

Photobucket

Climbing Diamond Head crater (about a 1.5 hr hike)

Photobucket

Nick en route

Photobucket

After the first few days, we flew to the island of Kauai for five days, then back to Oahu. The second time in Oahu, we stayed in Waikiki, but rented a car and explored other parts of the island. We drove to the east side of the island (Windward Oahu, which is famous for its views.)

View of Oahu from Nuuanu Pali

Photobucket

Dogs playing on Kailua beach (that little dachshund was quite the digger!)

Photobucket

We also drove to Oahu's famous North Shore, which is home to the world's best surfing in the winter and calm beaches in the summer. There is a famous jumping rock at Waimea Bay. Nick didn't want to go first, but he's a Marty McFly at heart, and once I called him a chicken, he scrambled up the rock and jumped right off.

Photobucket

For the record, Nick jumped first, but I jumped twice, so our bravery is about on par with each other.... and the millions of other stupid teenage boys who were jumping.

Photobucket

We made once last stop in Honolulu at an unassuming Baskin Robbins.... why? Well, because President Obama worked here as a teenager!


Here is Nick eating some Presidential ice cream

Photobucket

More about Kauai next time!

No comments: