Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Big Sur Half Marathon

Even the best vacations include all the indignities of travel. My trip started with a 4am cab, and it went downhill from there; Cinnabon at LAX was the only bright spot until I reached my final destination of Monterey Bay, California and met up with my Iowa running compadre, Nicole. Our first order of business was to drive along the famous 17 mile stretch that runs from Monterey to Pebble Beach, passing by the ocean and through the country's best courses and biggest mansions.

Sand trap at Spyglass golf course

Photobucket

California's famous Lone Cypress (which is also the Pebble Beach golf course logo)

Photobucket

And of course, we had to fit a half marathon in there. We both finished, alive and well. My finish time was slightly faster than predicted by my marathon time. I was pretty happy about that, since my age rounds up to 30, and when I ran the marathon, it rounded down to 20.

Photobucket

Nicole and me with our medals

Photobucket

After the race, we drove to Big Sur and had a fancy lunch overlooking the ocean. The full marathon (which takes place in May) goes from Big Sur to Carmel, with the halfway point at Bixby Bridge. We were happy with our decision to run the half and drive the full.

Photobucket

The next day we finished off our trip visiting the Monterey Aquarium.
Jellyfish

Photobucket

Serious penguin

Photobucket

 
We had a great time running around John Steinbeck's old home, next time I'll be bringing Nick with me to appreciate Pebble Beach.

No comments: