Sunday, March 20, 2011

Boyz in the hood

Enough talk about the boy in my womb, how about my other boys? There are the ones we all know and love and love to photograph (Nick, Batman, Newman).

Photobucket
Nick, enjoys feeling fetus kicks to his back

Photobucket
Batman, smells change

Photobucket
Newman, wild card. Will either sit on baby's face or ignore baby.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Recently I've been surprised to find that New York City is full of young gentlemen. I first noticed this surprising politesse last summer when some boys extended a generous invite. Now that I'm obviously pregnant, day to day subway travel serves as an impromptu social experiment: will anyone in this town offer me a seat? Although I have two months left, the data so far has been overwhelming, and I feel confident publishing some conclusions. Here they are:

Most likely to offer: far and away (at least 90% of seats offered to date) young men in their 20's are the most likely to offer a seat. Preppy undergrads, grad students, tourists with arms around girlfriends, pants pulled down ganstas, but the common denominator is young men will offer me a seat, and I love them for it. It gives me hope for the world and for our son (!).

Least likely to offer: tie between women my age and middle aged men. I've even learned that straight up rudeness isn't out of the question for these demographics. I've had these winners put their fat purse or cheap briefcase on the last seat right when I go to sit, or push in front of me to get on the train. (For the record, a simple and cold "excuse me" is an effective bag removal device.)

There you have it- I won't offer my theories to maintain the integrity of the scientific results. And for now, let's all have high expectations for young men and their manners.

The past two weekends, Nick and I did the unthinkable- visited the ..... wait for it..... boroughs! Technically NYC includes a lot more than Manhattan, but I tend to round down and get my money's worth without crossing a bridge. Last weekend, it was Brooklyn, and this weekend, Queens. We first wandered around Union Square (on Manhattan's east side) which hosts a bustling market featuring locally sourced (and expensive!) beef, cider, produce, and a few free gems.

Photobucket


Then we headed to the 7 train for our first Queens visit (unless the airport counts.) We had a dinner party to attend, but first visited an art museum and an outdoor graffiti mecca called 5 Pointz.
Photobucket

Ten weeks left, give or take, before another boy will be joining us and entering the ranks of New York gentlemen!

No comments: