Saturday, October 22, 2011

Unlamed, if not untamed

What did you do this weekend? Oh, you know, went to stunt school and jumped off a 30 ft rig. We headed all the way to a semi sketchy area of Brooklyn for this outing, and pushed little Ferris past graffiti, barbed wire, and a warehouse that advertised its expertise at live chicken slaughter.


Nick has always been the 'fraidy cat when it comes to things like this, so I jumped while he stayed with Ferris. The class started out learning the proper technique on low practice mats. Some people had to go 10+ times, but after my very first jump, the instructor said, "Uuuum, you're good at this." Gymnastics pays off again! For a moment, I imagined quitting my job to train at stunt school and make my way to Hollywood and become a stunt double for famous actresses and live in a Bel Air mansion just like MASH RAP told me I would. But let's be honest, Brooklyn is just soooo faaar to go on regular basis. So I stopped imagining and started jumping. Maybe it's my age, or maybe it's motherhood, but the adrenaline rush that used to be so exciting was a little scary.

The mat is about 10 ft high, and the class is jumping from 20 ft above it (30 ft off the ground.)
So here's how to free fall for those of you who want to practice on your bed. Spotter yells, "all clear!" You yell, "falling!" Then you jump and kick your feet out so you're lying horizontally and follow 2 rules: 1) always land on your back 2) land flat to spread the impact over the greatest possible surface area (ie don't tuck your head in like most people will do instinctively) Let me show you how it's done.


Ferris slept through it all and woke up just in time to express his rabid love for moose while we ate waffle sandwiches (yum!) And now, back in safe old Manhattan, Nick is making dinner and I'm back to being lame.

No comments: