Monday, March 5, 2012

9 months and new running shoes

We've just had two birthdays! Ferris is 9 months old.

At this point, you can't even distinguish which shots are the outtakes, can you?!

Here is what 30 looks like. Happy birthday to Nick! We celebrated at Del Posto, a fancy Italian restaurant owned by Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich. Unfortunately, we didn't bump into Joe, who is the best judge on Master Chef. We started watching the show when Ferris was super wee, you can even hear it on in most of the little videos we took back then!

And here is what 9 months old looks like. Goofy and curious and unskilled at putting puffs into his mouth.
Ferris has a thing for highwaters, or his mama has trouble moving on!
 I used to wonder why seemingly normal people are always sprinting around New York City. Since going back to work after Ferris was born, my only workouts have been occasional jogs from my office to the daycare for a quick lunchtime hello. These are my running shoes. Therein lies the problem. We have some big events coming up soon, most notably Ferris's kidney surgery. So I decided to take a couple of months off from working instead of running myself, and my ballet flats, ragged. When I last had maternity leave, Ferris had just started grabbing his feet.

Today we went to the park, met a friend, read books, played on the floor together. Ferris went in a swing set for the first time, and tentatively smiled and giggled before preferring to suck on the front of the swing. He crawled toward the kitchen, as he always does. He pants with happiness, and his eyes gleam as he rounds the corner and sees the dog and cat dishes just ahead. Today I didn't stop him; I let him splash and kick the water dish until his clothes and the floor were soaked.

No comments: