Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Sling Diaries: Delight

Delight was my biggest surprise. 

 

 


When you’re pregnant, warnings abound. So I listened to the voices of experience who told me, "When the baby is born, it will be horrible. The babies think that days are nights and nights are days, and there aren’t any tricks that will fix it. You just have to wait out that first month.”

But horrible never happened. It was more like an uber emotional, better funded version of college. That first month, our little family had 11PM Conan dates, Dunkin Donuts for breakfast, afternoon naps, and glasses of champagne while we watched Adventures in Babysitting at God knows what time. Nobody told me how freeing it would be to let go of day and night. Clocks and calendars cause so much stress! The world stopped for us in those early days and I had never been so happy.

And then Ferris fell in love with the world. Trees, so interesting! Bearded men on the subway, so funny! Newman’s puffy tail, so soft! Frozen yogurt, so yummy! Being chased, so scary! I never knew how much I'd truly enjoy holding, wearing, feeding, comforting, learning, observing him. Motherhood felt nothing like the self-sacrifice I'd anticipated.

For a boy who was just a baby, fall is a primal and sensory season. Each day is a test of his lungs and limbs. At the pumpkin patch, he ran to see the horses and cats (of course), knocked over a sign, took a pumpkin from a little girl and then handed it back with great fanfare.

When he needs a break from his newfound independence, he cuddles me in the sling. We walk and dance together. Warm and safe, our bodies reminisce.







Ferris and I share Sakura Bloom's Essential Silk Sling in Licorice/Amalfi.

3 comments:

Nick said...

I love the picture where Ferris has his mouth open. It reminds me of every photo from when you were young and your mouth was wide open!

gillian claire said...

gorgeous photos!

Crèmebrûlivin said...

Thank you!