Monday, February 11, 2013

The Sling Diaries: Tradition


 The rad part about growing up is making your own traditions! Here are some of ours.

SONGS
 I make up songs for Ferris, usually adapted from the classics with new lyrics, but sometimes I make up my own. I sing "Night Night Ferris" to the tune of "I Want Candy." This will be a tradition until he tells me how much they suck. Regardless of my singing skills, naptimes usually require a more robust strategy. I decided to take some pictures when all hope was lost.

DONUTS
Nick always had tons of donuts growing up, so when he goes home to Des Moines, inevitably I find him handing Ferris donut after donut. After I give him a stern reminder about the importance of developing a healthy diet for Ferris, we walk back into the kitchen to find Nick's dad handing Ferris donut after donut. The kid scaled the damn fridge trying to get another donut. Forehead slap!

COFFEE
After I had Ferris, I wanted to get OUT of our tiny apartment... but where? We took walks to a coffee shop in our NYC neighborhood, and somehow it became a ritual. This little New York chain also had locations near his daycare, so we would stop by in the mornings before I dropped him off. I had coffee, and he stared up at the fan. Now I try to make time at least once a week to get coffee with him. We sit and read books together, and it makes the entire day better when we start on our own terms.

TUXEDOS
When Ferris was super wee, I bought a tuxedo on Etsy, and dressed him in it every Tuesday. It was nice to look forward to each week. We've tried to keep up with Tuxedo Tuesday ever since. Ferris has a tradition of crapping and needing an outfit change only when he's wearing his tux. His latest is monogrammed; watch out world!

SELF PORTRAITS 
Since Ferris and I both like the remote, these have become a tradition. With my combination of an untrustworthy memory and a sentimental nature, I've learned to document. I made a stop motion video of his first year, and stitched together my favorite moments, and posted a photo each month, and took videos with the Mac photobooth. And believe it or not, I actually go back and look at it all. I will not be one of those mamas who looks back and doesn't have any proof that she was there too! 




1 comment:

Nick said...

The picture of Ferris looking over the crib gets me every time. One of my favorites ever!