Friday, March 15, 2013

The Sling Diaries: Beauty


Can you believe we're at the last Sling Diaries post already? The past 6 months just flew by.

When I really think about pregnancy and babies, it seems very sci-fi. Even at 9 months pregnant, I would waddle around saying, "Can you believe I'm pregnant?!" Because I couldn't, and I still can't, even though Ferris is almost two. I think of how many billions of iterations of baby that Nick and I could've made, if another sperm won the race or whatever. But we have one single, special, lucky Ferris who survived out of all of those possibilities. How many of us see ourselves that way? We are a planet full of individuals who are here despite the odds being 96 billion to 1.**

 After my fresh hormones spun me into an analytical frenzy, I started to see how much each of us should appreciate our good fortune instead of succumbing to that all too human desire to compare.

And yes, this relates to beauty. Because when you see yourself as 1/96,000,000,000, you start to feel pretty good about being alive. In the dreary snow, with a lazy hairdo, with permanent dark circles, with pink lipstick, with my boy.










Ferris and I share the Sakura Bloom Simple Linen Sling in Coral

** Yes, I really estimated this. The average woman is fertile from ages 13-45 (384 months) x average 250 million sperm/encounter = total iterations of sperm/egg combinations possible from your mother!

1 comment:

Nick said...

I could look at you talking about math all day! Congrats on finishing the series.