Saturday, June 1, 2013

Ah York!

It's official: today Ferris turned two! The morning chirps of "my happy birthday cake? my happy birthday party?" will no longer be humored. Ok, maybe we will, since it's just so cute. When he says, "me! me?" he doesn't point to himself exactly.... he flaps his arms like chicken wings. That's how he refers to himself. But more later, I'm just catching up on our New York trip! 

We went back to visit, and I won a bet - Ferris did in fact remember his old daycare friends and teachers, even though he stopped going there spring 2012! People always ask what we intend to do when we visit New York. Have an adventure, what else? We visited with many old friends and met new ones. (And it must be noted that I successfully sewed a pillow for our hosts!) It was so funny to see him slowly walk, and stop over every subway grate. "What dat?" he would repeatedly ask, as the smell of dysentery caressed his cheeks.


The last day was unplanned perfection. We were hanging out at a playground, and a bunch of schoolkids came in for their recess. The girls spent it telling me about their baby brothers and chasing Ferris around. They held his mini taxi, helped him down the slide, cooed at and adored him. Then I went to a gymnastics class, where complete strangers clapped when I landed my first front tuck in a number of (10?) years. I don't want to move back to New York, I want to vacation there indefinitely and attend Wednesday afternoon gymnastics classes.

"Are you coming back next week?"
"No, I'm an out of towner now."




1 comment:

Lynnea said...

So many great pictures (and writing, of course)! I'm glad your trip was everything you hoped it would be. I LOVE seeing Ferris around his old stomping grounds. (And it's fun to see Krista in there, too!) :)